The UK Garages Super Statistics

Are we becoming a nation of hoarders?

Once upon a time garages were used for storing cars in, but now in 2014 the domestic garage is no longer being used for its original purpose. A study from the RAC shows that over half of Britain’s 10.6 million domestic garages are not being used; with on average 2 in 5 drivers admitting they don’t use the garage for their car due to it being too full with household possessions or junk.

The study also revealed that 62% of drivers no longer use their garage for motoring uses and would rather use it to store home DIY and gardening tools. 1 in 5 of the remaining 38% that still uses the garage for its intended purpose admits that it is a struggle, due to space and design. The average size of a car has changed dramatically, so older home garages can struggle to house a car comfortably.

Here at Lockup garages we have posted before about alternative uses for garages, and this study has revealed the top 5 items kept in the garage other than cars.

1. DIY tools: 76%

2. Decorating Kit (including ladders: 67%

3.Gardening Equipment: 64%

4. Sports and Gym Equipment: 49%

5. Bikes and Scooters: 47%

Around 9% of the people questioned admitted to having their garage converted into additional living space.

If you are lucky enough to have a garage with your property, but can’t store your car because of possessions and junk why not rent a garage in London and have your very own separate storage building, and give your car the shelter it deserves.

Please contact us on 020 8882 8575 if you are interested in additional space with one of our fantastic garages, and we will be more than happy to help.

Back to News

Can't find what you are looking for? Contact Us

CONTACT

© Dudrich (Holdings) Limited 2018 . All rights reserved.